Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chandra's Scavenger Hunt

So I received an email from Chad asking I participate in a scavenger hunt. My first challenge, as he put it, was to post something about myself here that I don't mind sharing with everyone. Which on the surface sounds easy enough, but for whatever reason seems difficult for me.

I'm thinking this is because, prior to last year, life has been a little rough for me. Instead of involving others and letting them help me through that difficult time, I had a tendancy to push the people I love most away. I thought that being strong meant I had to handle my own issues and I definitely didn't want to burden on anyone. I became an island of sorts.

Now that I'm on the other side I see just how really wrong I was. Being strong means knowing your family and friends are there for you. With that realization comes the regret. The one bright spot is that in the last couple of years I have developed the kind of relationship with my sisters I always wanted. In fact, without them I don't know that I could have made it through. They truly helped me through my darkest hours and I can never fully express my appreciation. My friends on the other hand... If I could go back in time I would keep in touch with everyone. Instead of withdrawing I would let everyone know just how much I value them and their friendship. I would make them a part of my life and I would be a better friend.

The last few months I've come to know the value of strong relationships and one person in particular has shown me that I am deserving of these. When I met Chad I was bound and determined not to like him. I thought it was just a matter of time before he showed his true colors and became just like every other man I've known. I was right about one thing. He has shown his true colors, but he is definitely not like any man I've ever known.

Chad has a tendency to listen to my inner dialog, which isn't always very good, and help me turn things around. A great example is this blog. I remember showing him my sister's blogs so that he could see what they look like and what they're about. Then I said something like "some day" I would get my act together and do one too. Maybe. I'm just not good about things like that like they are. So what does Chad do when he hears this? He listens, creates a blog, and sends me on a scavenger hunt turning my "some day" into today.

Now that I have this wonderful, caring, thoughtful man in my life I don't want to know what life would be like without him. He is everything I never knew I wanted. Thank goodness life doesn't always work out the way you planned.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yay Chandra! You guys have a blog! I hope you can keep up with it. It would be awesome if you could start posting pictures and stuff! You and Chad are so cute and mooshy! So twitterpated! Love it!